We look at the events cancelled or postponed in Ottawa due to concerns about COVID-19. If you are an event coordinator or you are aware of the event cancelled or postponed, please let us know.
- The Ontario Government says all publicly funded elementary and secondary schools will be closed for two weeks following March Break.
- Carleton has decided to proactively respond by cancelling March Break camp the week of March 16-20, 2020.
- All events scheduled for the Canadian Tire Centre, including the Disney on Ice shows, which were set to run until March 15.
- The city’s annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and subsequent party at Lansdowne Park.
- The NHL has announced it will “pause the 2019-20 season beginning with tonight’s games”
- All minor league hockey games in eastern Ontario, until further notice.
- Limmud 2020, a festival of Jewish learning and culture that had been slated for the Soloway Jewish Community Centre.
- Week-long March break camps at Carleton University and the University of Ottawa.
- The Canadian Central Hockey League has suspended playoff games until further notice.
- All of Canada’s national museums will be closed on Saturday, March 14 until further notice. The announcement, made Friday afternoon by the National Museums of Canada, includes the Canadian Museum of History, the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21, the Canadian Museum of Nature, the Canadian War Museum, Ingenium and the National Gallery of Canada.
- All city facilities where large gatherings occur — such as pools, recreation centres, libraries and arenas — will be closed as of Monday, March 16 and reopen April 5.
Virus Protection: If you head out, plan to use these safety tips to keep yourself and those around you healthy and safe.
⫸ Wash your hands (often) with soap for more than 20 seconds.
⫸ Cough/sneeze into your elbow or tissue (toss that tissue into the trash ASAP.)
⫸ If you’re lucky enough to own a travel bottle of hand sanitizer, use it.
⫸ Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth — or that really itchy spot.
⫸ Stay home if you feel ill